Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Mirror

How can I say I’m a man
When I am not yet human?

The world is like a living mirror
That reflects souls.
In it I look for my reflection.
In it, I look for my humanity.
Only festering ugliness grins back at me;   
A sardonic arc, a triumphant rictus,
On the face of the destitute
Lying, dying in the corner
As I walked on.
On the face of the cold beggar
At whom I rolled up my window
As I sat snug in my car.
On the face of my infant daughter
Whose first breath was her last
As I got her killed.
On the face of my wife
Who I first draped in vows, and then in fire.
On the face of the starving dog
I kicked on the streets
Because it was funny.
On the face of the girl
I touched on the bus, and on the one that I teased on the roads
And on the little one  
I raped.
On the face of my city
On which I spat and relieved myself
Whenever I wanted to.
On the face of those people
I hate
Because of their race.
On the face of those worshippers,
Whose god wasn’t mine,
Those whom I cursed and brutally killed
To prove my god was better.
On the face of my god,
At which I threw back my humanity.
On the face that I will one day stand before.

Will then on that day stand the soul of a man?

1 comment:

  1. Powerful! I will do everything I can to get the 'right' people to see this!
    Cheers and well said.

    ReplyDelete