Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hair Raising (or Close Shave or Facial Follicular Failure)


It wasn’t expected when I was boy,
And when I became a teen, there still wasn’t a trace.
You think by twenty one I’d have a few strands,
But no. There just wasn’t any hair growing on my face.

When I was thirteen, I figured they’d grow.
By sixteen I was still waiting for a sign.
In four, I should have had more.
Instead of an upper lip and chin lined fine. 

When other guys around sported a goatee,
Now that really got my goat.
The bigger insult was a French beard; you see
It took me ages to even grow a mote.

But it really hurt when I’d see a handlebar
Or fellows with huge milk-skimmers above their lips
For I was still so very far
From ever getting to oiling my tips.

A razor to me was just sharp metal.
Shaving cream, a foamy dream of white.
Aftershave? Ha! It was just a bottle 
Somewhere on a store shelf under a light.  

Now, finally, there’s some semblance of fur,
Something like bristles that spurt now and then.
Hey, at this rate something is better than none.
At least, I don’t have to ever wonder “Arrgghh! When!?”

2 comments: